The acceleration procedure for Bellbrook-Sugarcreek Schools is a research-based, data-driven process employing the use of the Iowa Acceleration Scale, 3rd edition, which is the acceleration instrument approved by the State of Ohio. This scale allows us to take a multi-factored approach to determine if a student is a good candidate for acceleration. It is important to note that this procedure may, in some cases, take more than a month to complete. Because we are considering altering a student’s educational placement, we make every effort to ensure a student should be accelerated and that the placement will be successful. Acceleration nominations should be carefully considered before they are submitted.
Most good candidates for acceleration will display some of the following characteristics, as identified by the State of Ohio:
- Demonstrate above average general cognitive ability
- Academically achieves one or more grade levels above the norm for his/her age
- Express a desire for more challenging instruction
- Are socially mature enough to adapt to an environment serving older students
- Respond positively to the possibility of acceleration
Acceleration is not a good option for students with some of the following characteristics, as identified by the State of Ohio:
- Student has an older sibling in the grade level to which the student may be accelerated
- Student is sufficiently challenged by the curriculum at his/her current grade level
- Student would be significantly less emotionally mature than typical students at the grade level to which he/she may be accelerated
- Student responds negatively to the possibility of acceleration
Comprehensive information for parents and teachers to review when considering nominating a child for Whole-Grade, Subject-Specific Acceleration OR Early Entrance to Kindergarten can be found here. All required forms are included in the packet. For additional information, please see success stories for whole grade acceleration here.
The deadline is May 31 of each year for consideration for fall early entrance.
If you have questions or concerns about the acceleration process or the nomination forms, please contact your building principal or Betsy Chadd, the Director of Curriculum & Gifted Services, at (937) 848-5001 x 6115.